Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Diaz Pulled, Condit is In

Nick Diaz is out and Carlos Condit is in against Georges St. Pierre!

As I sit down to breakdown this weekend's Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix semi-final matches I come across this article. In a shocking move, the UFC has pulled Nick Diaz from his upcoming title shot against GSP for failure to show up to 2 consecutive press conferences.

In the article it states that during the press conference while Dana White was at the podium
“Cesar just said, ‘I agree with what you’re doing 100-percent. I’ve been trying to chase Nick Diaz all around town,’” White relayed.
 GSP commented about doing press conferences.
“I despise doing this. I don’t like the staredown, the face-to-face, the pictures, the click-click,” said St. Pierre. “I don’t like doing this, but I have to do it. It’s the contract. To promote the fight, you need three entities: the organization and the two fighters. And one fighter didn’t do his job. If you don’t want to do it for yourself, do it for your family. It’s a little bit selfish.”
Dana White also mentioned his phone call with Carlos Condit.
“When we called Carlos for this fight, he started crying and had to call us back 15 minutes later,” White said. “Condit deserves this shot. He’s the guy.”
I'm a huge fan of Carlos Condit and believe he has more than earned his shot at the welterweight crown. Condit was the long time and finally WEC welterweight champion. He lost his UFC debut to Martin Kampmann by a controversial split decision, his only loss in 5 years. Since then, he's rattled of 4 straight wins over Jake Ellenberger, Rory McDonald, Dan Hardy and Dong Hyun Kim. Scoring 2 knockout of the night awards and a fight of the night award.

The last thing White said about Diaz is this:
“Cesar Gracie had him in his house,” said White. “Nick snuck out the back door. Nobody has been able to find him. If I had known this would happen, I never would have made this fight. We’ve spent $15,000 in just flights for Nick Diaz in the last couple days. It’s a pretty big financial blow.” 
Dana White and Zuffa have had issues with Nick Diaz for a long time. Back in 2006 when Diaz was released from the UFC he was on a 3 fight win streak. The personal issues with Nick not living up to contractual obligations will be his ruin. If Dana White is mad enough, Nick Diaz could be on the outside looking in again, not just at the championship fight he has now lost, but at his contract with the UFC.

No comments:

Post a Comment